Recipe from Food’s Greatest Hits Season 1, Episode 14: Campfire Classics
If you have a happy camper in your life, they’re sure to love this campfire-themed birthday cake on their special day!
Ease of Preparation Rating: Easy
Ingredients Serves 8
- 2 boxes chocolate cake mix
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 115g dark chocolate
- ½ cup cream
- ½ cup dark corn syrup
- ¼ cup sugar
- 3 jars marshmallow spread
- 3 cups pureed graham crackers
- 1 tub dark chocolate icing, room temperature
- 1 tub vanilla icing, room temperature
- 3 large marshmallows
- Bake the chocolate cakes as directed on the box in 3 x 20cm round pans lined with parchment. Let cool on wire racks.
- Fill a bowl with the cocoa powder and set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine dark chocolate, cream, corn syrup, and sugar. Microwave for 2-4 minutes until melted.
- Add the warmed liquid over the cocoa powder and stir. Let sit for two minutes and then whisk until smooth and glossy.
- Fill a piping bag with a round tip with the marshmallow spread and set aside.
- To assemble, begin with one chocolate cake. Add chocolate fudge sauce in a circle starting in the middle. Then pipe marshmallow in between the chocolate. Place the next cake down and repeat. Add the third cake on top. Lightly press down and make sure the cake is straight. Spread the dark chocolate icing evenly over the top of the cake. Using a pastry spatula evenly spread vanilla icing around the sides of the cake. Before the icing sets gently crust the sides with the pureed graham crackers. Create a rim on the top of the cake with the graham crackers.
- Gently lift the cake onto a cake stand. Create a swirl pattern on the top of the cake with the remaining marshmallow spread. Place the 3 marshmallows in the centre of the cake and using a torch brown the marshmallows and the marshmallow swirl.