Recipe © Jamie Oliver 2016, from Super Food Family Classics Season 1, Episode 2
Spinach is a brilliant ingredient to embrace at breakfast time – it’s super-high in vitamin K, which we need to keep our bones strong and healthy. Popeye knew what he was doing!
Total Time: 25 minutes
Difficulty: Not too tricky
Ingredients Serves 2
- 160g ripe cherry tomatoes, on the vine
- 4 thin slices of wholemeal bread (35g each)
- 3 large free-range eggs
- 1 x 15g slice of higher-welfare smoked ham
- 80g baby spinach
- 2 tbsp semi-skimmed milk
- 1 heaped tbsp cottage cheese
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Hot chilli sauce
- Preheat the grill to high. Lay the tomato vines in a large baking tray, prick each tomato with the tip of a sharp knife and grill for 4 minutes, then add the bread to the tray to toast on both sides. Meanwhile, crack 1 egg into a blender, add the ham, spinach, a good pinch of black pepper and the milk and blitz until smooth. Take the tray from under the grill and divide the green eggy mixture between the four pieces of toast, spreading it right out to the edges. Divide and dot over the cottage cheese, then pop back under the grill for another 4 minutes, or until starting to brown at the edges.
- Meanwhile, dry fry the remaining 2 eggs in a non-stick frying pan on a medium heat, covering the pan with a lid to steam and coddle the eggs on the top – cook to your liking. Divide up the Popeye bread and serve each portion with an egg and half the grilled tomatoes. I like to finish with just a few drips of good oil, and a drizzle of chilli sauce for a bit of a kick. Crush the tomatoes, tear up the bread, bust up the egg yolk and devour.
Super Food Family Classics by Jamie Oliver is published by Penguin Random House
ⓒ Jamie Oliver Enterprises Limited (2016 Super Food Family Classics) Photographer: Jamie Oliver