Recipe © Jamie Oliver 2016, from Super Food Family Classics Season 1, Episode 4
A little sausage goes a long way in this delicious dish. I’ve paired it with sweet squash, which gives us a hit of vitamins A and C, both of which we need to keep our skin nice and healthy.
Total Time: 55 minutes
Difficulty: Not too tricky
Ingredients Serves 4
- 4 higher-welfare chipolata sausages
- Olive oil
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- ½ tsp dried red chilli flakes
- ½ a butternut squash (600g)
- 2 onions
- 2 litres organic veg or chicken stock
- 125ml Chianti
- 300g Arborio risotto rice
- 1 radicchio or 2 red chicory
- 300g cottage cheese
- 15g Parmesan cheese
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- Finely slice the chipolatas and place in a large high-sided pan on a medium heat with 1 tbsp of oil, the fennel seeds and chilli flakes. Stir and fry while you chop the squash into 1cm dice (leaving the skin on and deseeding), and peel and finely chop the onions. Stir the veg into the pan, then cook with a lid ajar for around 20 minutes, or until the squash is starting to break down and caramelize, stirring regularly. Simmer the stock in a pan on a low heat.
- Push the squash aside, and pour the Chianti into the pan. Let it cook away, picking up all that goodness from the base of the pan. Stir in the rice for 2 minutes, then gradually add the stock, a ladleful at a time, stirring and waiting for each ladleful to be absorbed before adding the next. Repeat this, stirring and massaging the starch out of the rice, for 20 minutes, or until the rice is cooked but still holding its shape, and the risotto is oozy.
- Finely slice the radicchio or chicory and stir through the risotto with the cottage cheese, then taste and season to perfection. Portion up and serve with a fine grating of Parmesan and a sprinkling of picked thyme leaves.
Veggie Swap In
- To make this recipe veggie, simply swap out the sausage for 1 x 400g tin of borlotti beans and add them with the rice.
Super Food Family Classics by Jamie Oliver is published by Penguin Random House
ⓒ Jamie Oliver Enterprises Limited (2016 Super Food Family Classics) Photographer: Jamie Oliver