Recipe © Jamie Oliver 2016, from Super Food Family Classics Season 1, Episode 5
Two of our crumble ingredients here – mighty oats and beautifully sweet dates – are super-high in fibre, helping to keep our guts healthy and happy, and keeping us regular!
Total Time: 55 minutes
Difficulty: Not too tricky
Ingredients Makes 12 portions
- 6 oranges
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 vanilla pod
- 150g ripe strawberries
- 200g Medjool dates
- 360g porridge oats
- 80g unsweetened desiccated coconut flakes
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 2kg mixed seasonal stone fruit, such as plums, peaches, apricots, cherries
- 1 tbsp natural yoghurt
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Halve the oranges and squeeze all the juice into a large roasting dish with the balsamic. Halve the vanilla pod lengthways and scrape out the seeds, then add both pod and seeds to the dish. Grate in the strawberries, mix together, and pop into the oven to warm through while you prep your crumble and fruit.
- For the crumble, tear the stones out of the dates and place the flesh in a food processor with the oats, coconut flakes, 1 tbsp of oil and 130ml of water, then blitz into a crumble. Pour into a roasting tray or dish (30cm x 40cm) and spread out into an even layer. Wash all the fruit, then halve or quarter, removing the stones as you go. Pull the dish of warm, delicious juices out of the oven and gently stir in all the fruit. Return to the top shelf of the oven, place the crumble on the shelf underneath, and cook for 45 minutes, or until the fruit is soft and sticky and the crumble is nicely golden. Stir the crumble occasionally as it cooks to break it up and give it a nice even colour.
- Serve up however many portions you want while it’s all warm, adding 1 tbsp of yoghurt to each one. Once cool, decant the rest of the crumble portions into an airtight jar to enjoy in the days that follow, and pop the fruit into the fridge, where it will keep happily for up to 5 days.
Super Food Family Classics by Jamie Oliver is published by Penguin Random House
ⓒ Jamie Oliver Enterprises Limited (2016 Super Food Family Classics) Photographer: Jamie Oliver