Recipe © Jamie Oliver 2016, from Super Food Family Classics Season 1, Episode 3
Sticking to super-lean chicken breasts is the key to making super-food fajitas, and also provides us with a great source of protein, ensuring our muscles stay strong and healthy.
Total Time: 40 minutes, plus marinating
Difficulty: Not too tricky
Ingredients Serves 4
- Olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp chipotle Tabasco sauce
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 large red onion
- 2 x 200g free-range skinless chicken breasts
- 3 mixed-colour peppers
- 1 large aubergine
- 2 limes
- 1 bunch of fresh coriander (30g)
- 1 ripe avocado
- 4 large seeded wholemeal tortillas
- 50g feta cheese
- Put 1 tbsp of oil into a bowl with the vinegar, chilli sauce, oregano, paprika, and a pinch of sea salt and black pepper. Crush in the unpeeled garlic through a garlic crusher and mix together. Peel and halve the onion, slice into 1cm-thick wedges, then slice the chicken lengthways 1cm thick and toss both in the marinade. Leave in the fridge for at least 1 hour, or preferably overnight.
- Blacken the whole peppers and aubergine over a direct flame on the hob, or in a griddle pan on a high heat, until charred and blistered all over. Pop the peppers into a bowl and cover with clingfilm for 10 minutes, then scrape off most of the black skin, discarding the stalks and seeds. Pinch the skin off the aubergine and trim off the ends. Nicely slice it all 2cm thick, dress on a platter with the juice of 1 lime and a few picked coriander leaves, then taste and season to perfection.
- Cook the chicken and onions in all that lovely marinade in a large non-stick frying pan on a medium-high heat for 6 to 8 minutes, or until cooked through, turning halfway. Peel, destone and finely slice the avocado, and squeeze over the juice of half a lime. Warm the tortillas in a dry frying pan for 30 seconds, then keep warm in a clean tea towel. Take it all to the table, with the feta and the remaining coriander leaves, and let everyone build their own.
Super Food Family Classics by Jamie Oliver is published by Penguin Random House
ⓒ Jamie Oliver Enterprises Limited (2016 Super Food Family Classics) Photographer: Jamie Oliver