Pear Tarte Tatin
With blue cheese and honey ice cream. Evoking all the tastes of a French autumn. Mark Southon recipe.
4 x ripe golden pears (Taylor pears)
100g x puff pastry, enough to cover the pears in the pan
4 x scoops Kohu Road vanilla ice cream
* Peel pears, half and take out the cores with a melon baller, cover in water with a little lemon juice to stop oxidation.
Star anise yoghurt
1 x tsp star anise powder
400ml x buffalo yoghurt
Icing sugar to taste
* Mix all ingredients together, reserve in fridge
120g x sugar
70g x butter
* Caramelize the sugar in a large pan until a deep golden colour (just as the caramel starts to bubble)
* Chop the butter into small cubes and whisk in a bit at a time until fully incorporated, then
pour into a large pan that is suitable to put in the oven
* When caramel is set, dry off the pears and arrange on top of the hard caramel inside of the pear facing up, cover tightly with the puff pastry and tuck around and under the pears.
* Make three little pricks in the middle for the steam to escape and cook @ 200c in a pre-heated oven for 12/15 mins or until the pastry is golden brown and the sides of the pastryare caramelized
* When the tart comes out of the oven allow to cool for two minuets, then tip out by placinga larger plate over the pan and inverting it, but be careful the caramel is extremely hot!!
What's On Food TV
Win one of three copies of Allyson Gofton's tasty new book Good Food Made ... Enter Now!