Tips & Tricks
Where Does Your Meat Come From?
Top Ten Tips For Successful Baking
Use our top baking tips from the professionals and you’ll always have successful baking, every time!
- 1. Always preheat your oven; getting the temperature correct is crucial, use a thermometer. Don’t always rely on the temperature knob of your oven.
- 2. Always read your recipe thoroughly before you start baking.
- 3. Baking is a science - ensure you weigh and measure all your ingredients accurately.
- 4. Always use room temperature butter and eggs when making a cake.
- 5. If modifying a recipe by adding an ingredient, you must leave out the same amount of ingredients of
- a similar consistency; i.e. if adding ½ cup cocoa, leave out ½ cup flour.
- 6. Never melt chocolate over 45°C, otherwise it will lose it gloss and keep well away from water.
- 7. The higher the sugar level in a cake, the lower the temperature should be. If the oven is too hot,
- the sugar will burn before the cake is cooked.
- 8. When working with pastry, always do this in a cool place. This will keep the pastry cool and easy
- to work with.
- 9. Pastry must be cooked between 200-240°C, if any lower the butter will melt out of the pastry and
- it will not rise.
- 10. Allow plenty of time in baking, to allow for the flavours to develop after baking, allow for the cake, pastry or bread to settle after coming out of the oven.